Do’s & Don’ts

Raffles and Lotteries
Legally, lotteries and raffles are defined in the same way and the same rules apply to both. Tickets may not be bought or sold by under 16’s. There are three types of lottery:

  • Private Lotteries – You do not need a licence if you hold a raffle at your workplace or club as long as the raffle is only offered to the members and held on the premises.
  • Small Lotteries – Lotteries at a social event can be held with out a licence. Ticket sales and announcement of prizes must take place on the night and cash prizes are not allowed.
  • Public Lotteries – To hold a raffle that’s open to members of the public you must register with the local council. If the value of the tickets exceeds £20,000 you must register with the Gaming Board. Please visit for more information.

Collecting Money
Public collections need specific permission and licences depending on the venue. Street collections require a license from the local authority or council. To collect money on private property e.g. supermarket, pub, shopping center, you must first get permission from the owner or landlord. Door-to-door collections are illegal without a license. Money cannot be collected by anyone under the age of 18 in London and 16 elsewhere.

Counting Money
For your own protection we suggest that you count collected monies in the presence of at least two people. All money raised should be banked immediately after the event.

If you want to sell alcohol at your event a temporary license is required. You can avoid this issue by either holding your event on licensed premises or by asking a local pub to organise a bar at your venue. Event organisers need to issue a Temporary Event Notice to the Local District Borough Unitary Council. More information can be found on the DCMS website.

If you want to offer or sell food to the public, you should check with the Environmental Health Department of your local council to see which food safety laws apply.

If you are planning to have some form of entertainment you will need a Public Entertainment License provided by the local authority. Check if the venue you are using has one.

Noah’s Ark Children’s Hospital Charity Branding
By law, the Noah’s Ark Children’s Hospital Charity charity registration number – 1069485 – must appear on all promotional materials that invite people to participate or help. All promotional materials should clearly state that the event is ‘in support of the Noah’s Ark Children’s Hospital Charity’. Permission is required to use the Noah’s Ark Children’s Hospital Charity logo.

If you organise an event that involves the public in any way, you will need to ensure you have public liability insurance. Check with your venue if they have public liability insurance which will cover you. Public Liability Insurance can be obtained from any insurer. Please remember that the Noah’s Ark Children’s Hospital Charity cannot accept liability for any accidents or losses which occur as a result of your fundraising activity.